The type of visa you need depends on the purpose of your visit to your destination. In each country, there are two main visa categories with many different types, which vary according to the reason for the trip. Find out about some of the most common types of non-immigrant visas available.

What is a non-immigrant visa?

  • A non-immigrant visa allows international travelers to stay overseas for a limited period. The type of visa issued to the traveler depends on the reason for their visit to the country.
  • A non-immigrant visa can be obtained in person, by ordinary mail, or even online as an eVisa.
  • Foreign travelers who want to stay for 30 days or 6 months should apply for this kind of visa. 

A visitor visa

A visitor visa is a temporary visa that can be obtained through the Embassy or Consulate for a temporary visit to a territory. This is suitable for business travelers, who enter a country to attend a conference, business seminars, or meetings. It is generally valid for a short duration, for up to 30 to 60 days, according to the requirements from the host country.

Book Your Flight Reservation Now

Tourist visa

A tourist visa is issued to travelers who do not intend to migrate to the host country. This kind of visa can be valid for 1 month to a few years, but the requirements may vary from a country to another. In some countries like Australia, for example, you are allowed to stay for 3 to 12 months as a visitor. In the US, however, a tourist visa may be valid for 1 month to a maximum of 10 years. A good reason to have a tourist visa extended may involve the continuation of your activities as a tourist, or participation in social organizations. You must check how to change your status if you want to extend your tourist visa, though.

A fiancé visa

If a foreign national wants to get married to an American citizen, they have to apply for this type of visa. The marriage with the American petitioner must take place within 90 days of entry. The fiancé visa application may take a few months, thus, it is necessary to check with the local Embassy or Consulate. In the US, for example, the Petition for Alien Fiancé may take up to 6 or 9 months. Then, it is necessary to schedule an appointment for a visa application interview at the Embassy or Consulate, and the interview may take place in 4 or 6 weeks.

A student visa

A student visa is a non-immigrant visa that is issued to students who want to pursue their studies abroad. The applicant is required to follow a full study course at a qualified educational institution. The student visa is endorsed in the passport and grants permission to remain in the country until the completion of the course, with an additional time of 60 days to 4 months. The requirements may vary from a country to another; so, it is necessary to check.

Book Your Flight Reservation Now

A business or work visa

To work overseas, you are required to obtain a business or work visa. This type of visa can include both the non-immigrant and immigrant categories. A work permit is given to any foreign national who wants to take a job overseas. Before applying for a work visa, the applicant must have a job offer in the country where they wish to work. The job offer has to be approved by Immigration Services. Some other important documents proving the job offer are required to obtain a business visa. Non-immigrant work visas are suitable for digital nomads. This type of visa may be valid for one year but can be renewed before the current visa expires if you want to extend your stay. If you wish to live and work permanently in the country, it is necessary to adjust your status and comply with all the requirements. 

An exchange visitor visa

An exchange visitor visa is a non-immigrant visa; it is issued to any foreign national who travels in a country as an exchange visitor. It can be valid for up to 90 days or 5 years, according to the country. An additional 30 days is given to the visitor who has stayed longer to prepare for their departure from the country. This is suitable for exchange students and au pair workers. 

Temporary agricultural worker visa

The temporary agricultural worker visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows seasonal farmworkers to carry out low-skilled jobs in the agricultural field. This may include fruit pickers, collectors, and any other temporary fieldwork. The visa may be valid for up to 12 months but can be extended to 3 years, with a renewed labor certification. 

Book Your Flight Reservation Now

A medical treatment visa

A medical treatment visa is required for foreign citizens who want to be examined by a physician abroad, or want to follow healthcare treatment at a hospital overseas. The reason for the visit is essential for medical purposes. 

In conclusion, the type of visa you need to apply for depends on many factors, including the purpose of your trip. Foreign travelers are required to obtain a visa online, in person, or by mail before their departure or upon arrival at their destination. As a visa applicant, you must have all the travel documents ready to meet all the visa application requirements. For more information, Onward Ticket can assist you in the right kind of visa for your trip.