Each year, between 10 and 15 million Indians travel to Europe, which makes it one of the most important tourist markets for the continent. But Indian passport holders need to fulfill specific obligations in order to obtain their Schengen visa.
Schengen visa application for Indian citizens : general requirements
If you plan on applying for a Schengen visa from India, then you have to provide these documents :
- Your Indian passport, valid for at least three months after the date you plan on leaving the Schengen zone.
- Your Schengen visa application form properly completed and signed.
- Two recent identical photos following the visa photo requirements
- A proof of residence in India (residence permit, national ID…)
- Round trip ticket or flight itinerary that includes the dates you enter and you leave the Schengen area and a valid PNR number. You can use services like Onward Ticket in order to get a proof of onward travel.
- A proof of accommodation : this can be a letter of invitation, a hotel booking, an AirBnb booking…
- A travel insurance policy with travel health insurance in the Schengen area and a minimum coverage of 30 000€ in case of medical emergency or illness.
- A cover letter explaining your itinerary and the purpose of your stay in the EU
- A proof of financial means : bank account statements or sponsorship that proves you can financially support yourself during your stay in the Schengen zone.
- A proof of civil status (marriage certificate, children birth certificates, etc.)
Those documents are the general ones you need to apply for a Schengen visa from India. For further information, please check The Complete Guide to a Schengen Visa. On top of them, you might have to provide other documents depending on your employment situation and on the type of Schengen visa you’re applying for.
Schengen visa application for Indian citizens : professional status requirements
Schengen visa requirements for Indian employees
- Leave permission from the employer
- Employment contract
- Income tax return
- Bank statement for the last six months
Schengen visa requirements for students
- Leave permission from University or school
- Proof of enrollment
Schengen visa requirements for retirees
- Pension statement of the last 6 months
Schengen visa requirements for self-employed
- Company bank statement for the last 6 months
- Income tax return
- Copy of the business license or registration in India
Schengen visa requirements for unemployed and married to an EU citizen
- Official marriage certificate
- Spouse’s confirmation of employment letter
- Spouse’s valid passport
Schengen visa application requirements for Indian minors
Parents or legal guardians applying for a Schengen visa on behalf of their kid must submit additional documents :
- Kid’s birth certificate
- Family court order for divorced parents
- Certified copies of passport / ID of both parents
- Signed Schengen visa application form by both parents
- Parental authorization signed by both parents
How to apply for a Schengen visa from India ?
The process to apply for a Schengen visa from India is almost the same than from any other country.
- Find the right Schengen visa for you between tourist visa, visa for visiting family or friends, transit visa, business visa, visa for culture and sport activities, visa for official visits, study visa, visa for medical reasons…
- Find where you need to apply for your Schengen visa in India. There are consulates, embassies and visa application centers all around India.
- Find out the Schengen country of your visa application : this will be the country where you spend the most time in or the country you intend to land in first in the Schengen area.
- Find the right time to apply for your Schengen visa in India, usually from 3 months to 3 weeks before you intend to leave India.
- Collect all the required documents to apply for a Schengen visa from India.
- Book a Schengen visa application appointment in India, to the nearest consulate or embassy from your place.
- Attend your Schengen visa application appointment, that usually lasts from 10 to 15 minutes. Here is a list of the 60 most frequent asked questions during a visa interview.
- Pay for your visa. The Schengen visa for Indian citizens costs 60 € per adult and 35 € per child between 6 to 12 years old.
- Receive your Schengen visa in the chosen Indian embassy or consulate.
Where to apply for a Schengen visa from India ?
Good news, the Schengen member countries have established their consulates, visa application centers and embassies all around India. So you shouldn’t have any problem finding a place where to apply for a Schengen visa from India, near your residence.
Careful ! : in order to apply for a Schengen visa in India, you either have to hold an Indian passport or to be a national of third countries legally living in India and holding a temporary or permanent residence permit.
Schengen visa application for Indian citizens FAQ
What if the country I intend to visit in the EU has no embassy nor consulate in India ?
Most EU countries have an embassy or a consulate in India. But if this isn’t the case, then you should submit your Schengen visa application to another member state representing your destination.
- Schengen visa application for Greece in India may be submitted to the Portuguese consulate in Goa
- Schengen visa application for Iceland in India may be submitted to the Danish embassy in New Delhi
- Schengen visa application for Slovenia in India may be submitted to the Portuguese consulate in Goa
- Schengen visa application for Slovakia in India may be submitted to the Hungarian consulate in Mumbai
How much does the Schengen visa cost for Indian citizens ?
The Schengen visa for Indian citizens costs 60 € per adult and 35 € per child between 6 to 12 years old.
The visa is free for children under 6, Indian pupils, graduate and postgraduate students, accompanying children who travel for study purposes, representatives of non-profit organizations who participate to a non-profit event up to 25 years old, Indian researchers who travel to carry out scientific research and holders of service and diplomatic passports.
When is the best time to apply for a Schengen visa from India ?
You are allowed to apply for a Schengen visa from India from 3 months to 15 working days before you intend to leave. We’d recommend applying at least a month before your trip.
When will I receive my Schengen visa in India ?
Applications are usually made final within 2 to 3 weeks from the date of your appointment to the Indian embassy or consulate. But it can take up to a month during busy periods.
My Schengen visa got refused, what should I do ?
If you consider that the refusal is not reasonable, then you can appeal. You’ll be noticed in the document you’ll get of the procedure related to the right of appeal. If the refusal is justified, then try to fulfill all the requirements for your next application. Another alternative is to apply for an ETIAS directly online.
What country can I visit with a Schengen visa and an Indian passport ?
You can visit all of the 26 Schengen member countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
Can I apply for a Schengen visa from the UK if I hold an Indian passport ?
If you’ve been legally residing in the UK for more than 3 months and that you hold a valid UK residence permit, then you can apply for a Schengen visa from the UK. If you’re an Indian tourist, then you need to apply for a Schengen visa in India.